Category: Horseboxes

The Different Types of Horseboxes

Horseboxes come in all shapes and sizes with different payload weights available. These range from small 3.5 ton horseboxes right through to 26 ton horseboxes based on HGV’s. The smaller horseboxes have a smaller payload and therefore can only carry one large horse or two smaller ones.

The 26-ton horseboxes are the size of coaches and have onboard living quarters as well as space of the horses. Your requirements will determine which type of horsebox you choose, for one horse then a 3.5 ton horsebox will probably be all you need. More horses mean a bigger horsebox as the payloads are generally larger.

There are many questions you need to ask yourself when picking a new horsebox, these are:

  • How often will you be transporting horses in the year?
  • Will the horsebox be used for domestic or commercial purposes?
  • Do you need living quarters?
  • What is your budget?

If you have enough money you can build any horsebox you want rather than just a basic unit without any creature comforts.

Some of the options available for building a horsebox are:

  • A garage for other vehicles
  • Electrical items such as televisions and computers
  • Storage areas for equipment
  • Leather interiors, heated seats and sat nav
  • Office space and sleeping areas

Horse Box License Requirements

Depending on the size and weight of the horsebox will determine what license is required for it to be used on the road.

A category C1 license is for vehicles which weigh between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, an additional trailer of up to 750kg can also be towed.

A category C1+E license is required if you want to operate a C1 vehicle but with a trailer in excess of 750kg. The total weight of the vehicle and trailer cannot be more than 12 tonnes.

A category C license enables the operator to drive a vehicle in excess of 3.5 tonnes with or without a trailer up to 750kg.

A category C+E license is for large vehicles with a trailer of more than 750kg.

If you use your horsebox for commercial purposes, then you will need to obtain an operator’s license with requires CPC training to be undertaken.